Ce ati dori sa imi transmiteti?

sâmbătă, 5 aprilie 2014

Review: "Bentwhistle the Dragon in A Threat from the Past" by Paul Cude (#1)

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Bentwhistle the Dragon in A Threat from the Part is an adventure story children and adults alike will love, about the present day world in which dragons disguised as humans have infiltrated the human race at almost every level, to guide and protect them. Three young dragons in their human guises become caught up in an evil plot to steal a precious commodity, vital to the dragon community. How will the reluctant hero and his friends fare against an enemy of his race from far in the past? Fascinating insights into the dragon world are interspersed throughout the book. Ever wondered how dragons travel below ground at almost the speed of sound? Or how they use magical mantras to transform their giant bodies into convincing human shapes? In an action packed adventure that features both human and dragon sports, you'll get a dragon-like perspective on human social issues and insight into what to do if you meet a giant spider grinning at you when you're wearing nothing but your smile! You'd be flamin' mad to miss it.

My Review:

This is my first book about dragons and I really liked it. It was so different from what I was expecting and I had so much fun discovering all the details in this fantasy world. Learning about these amazing creatures was the best thing in the experience and now I can't wait to start the sequel. Paul Cude has done a great job in creating a special world where dragons and humans are able to coexist and, most of all, where dragons are ready to help people when they need it.  

The story begins with the retelling of George and the Dragon, which I totally loved more after I understood the meaning and the connection with our hero. Peter, the main character, is such a sweet guy and I enjoyed being in his shoes, because I was constantly thinking: "This is exactly what I would do" or "This is exactly what I would say". He has two best friends named Richie and Tank, who are such great individuals that I wished I had them as my best friends. Together they make the best team, as I was happy to discover in the end. 

Peter is the only one capable to feel the danger approaching the company where he and Richie work, with the arrival of his new superior Mason. Knowing he can trust his friends, he asks for their help. Things get more difficult and weird for him, making both his personal and professional life miserable, so he can't stand and wait for it to happen, especially after one of his colleages and also a dragon dies. Will he succeed to prove that Mason is the one behind all of these and to punish him? 

The characters in this novel are very well embodied and developed. Richie is a badass character, with a great pleasure to give men a lesson when she feels they need it, taking advantage of her dragon power. At the same time, Tank is the perfect combination between kindness, tenderness and strength, using his abilities to keep Peter safe from bullies and to teach him useful mantras. They are really cool!  

The only thing that bothered me was the length of the chapters, which were pretty long. It took me a while to read this book, mostly because I was very busy with school and some writing contest, but I am glad that I did.  

I recommend this book to all of you who are still young at heart and who know to appreciate a fantasy story about dragons and who want to find out the value of friendship.   

Note: I received an e-copy for an honest review.



I liked it very much!

About Paul Cude:

Paul Cude was born in Southampton, Hampshire in 1968. As a small child he moved to Salisbury, and as a much older child (12) developed a fanatical interest in playing hockey - something he is still obsessed about to this very day, or so his eldest daughter claims, as she’s dragged to hockey training on cold, winter Sunday mornings. A photocopier, fax and printer engineer up until 8 years ago, redundancy allowed him the privilege of becoming a full time house husband, watching and shaping his two fantastic children as they progress in life. Married to a beautiful wife, he likes nothing more than days out with her and the children. On the odd occasion that free time presents itself, he likes playing hockey, taking computers apar(sometimes even putting them back together again, occasionally successfully) and ofcourse, writing.

Paul says, “The completion of this book wouldn’t have come about if not for the patience and understanding of my wife
and two children. If not for them I would have failed at least a dozen times over. My wife particularly deserves thanks for her hard work, dedication and enthusiasm, and for putting up with me asking her all sorts of silly questions at all sorts of
silly times of the day and night. Rachel, Jaina and Poppy, thank
you. I’m the luckiest man alive to have such a wonderful wife and children. I love you with all of my heart.”

Since the start of 2011, Paul has been working in a wonderful school as a Teaching Assistant, a job he enjoys more than any he has ever had. He hopes to continue in this role for a very long time.